Ever wonder what makes Chipotle’s Black Beans so much better than anyone else’s? There’s so much more that goes into the flavor than black beans alone, including tons of seasoning and rich flavors of onion, garlic, and chili pepper. This recipe is as close to the real thing as it gets, so you can create your own burrito, bowl, or salad at home with this copycat Chipotle Black Beans recipe.
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large can of black beans (29 ounces)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Drain the can of black beans. Put them in a colander and rinse them, then set aside.
- Dice onion into small pieces.
- Sauté onions in rice bran oil on the stove over medium-high heat. Once they are soft (approximately 5 minutes), add the garlic. Stir together and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add all ingredients into the pan except for the lime juice. Boil the mixture, and then lower the heat so the beans can simmer for half an hour.
- Take the bay leaf out of the mixture and drizzle the black beans with the lime juice.
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 5.3g
|Saturated Fat 0.9g
|Total Carbohydrate 26.4g
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g
|Total Sugars 1.4g
|Vitamin D 0mcg
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.
- Chipotle makes it (somewhat) easy to replicate their food because they display all of the ingredients in their dishes online. While this may be for transparency and health purposes, it means copycat recipes like this one are as close as possible to the real thing.
- You can substitute the lime juice for lemon juice.
- For a picture-perfect dish, top your Chipotle black beans with small amount of chopped cilantro.
- Pair your Chipotle Black Beans with another one of our copycat recipes, including Chipotle Chicken, and Chipotle Steak, Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice.