I’ve rarely made it through a summer without enjoying Sonic’s famous Limeades poured over their crunchy “nugget” ice. For a change of flavor, I also like Sonic’s Strawberry Limeade, a fruity berry-flavored soda with tangy lime- perfect for sipping on hot days. While summer may be almost over, as long as you can still find fresh strawberries, you can prepare your own strawberry limeade from home with just a few simple ingredients.
This recipe is easy to make for a crowd because you can prepare the strawberry syrup ahead of time, and it will last in the refrigerator for two weeks. About a pound of strawberries will yield enough syrup for five limeade servings, so you can plan accordingly. We recommend using Sprite for this recipe but you can substitute it with 7-Up or even a diet soda. Regular homemade ice cubes will work just fine, but if you want a more authentic Sonic drink, you can purchase their ice by the bag at any of their locations.
We like to garnish our limeades with strawberry, lime, and even a leaf of mint because it looks so beautiful; feel free to garnish your drinks any way you like. Serve cold and enjoy.
Sonic Strawberry Limeade Recipe
- 1 pound strawberries
- 32 oz water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry syrup (prepared from ingredients above)
- 1 cup Sprite
- 1 slice lime as garnish
- 1 full strawberry as garnish
- 1 mint leaf as garnish
- To make the strawberry syrup, first wash and hull your strawberries. Cut them into quarters, and place them into a pot with 32 ounces of water. Bring the pot to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- After the liquid has simmered, strain it, and discard the strawberries. Add the sugar to the liquid, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, skimming off any impurities on the top of the syrup as you go. Pour the syrup into a container, and allow it to cool.
- To make a Strawberry Limeade serving, fill a glass with ice, add 1/4 cup strawberry syrup with 1 cup of Sprite, and stir well. Add a lime wedge, a stem of mint, and a strawberry if desired.
- The strawberry syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- For an authentic Sonic taste, use their famous ice nuggets.
If you’re a limeade super fan, check out our Sonic Cherry Limeade recipe too.