Chicken Tortilla Soup is a staple recipe in our family. I either buy a package of boneless chicken breasts or a fully-cooked rotisserie chicken each week. I can use it for several meals, which makes prepping simple and fast. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is flavorful, easy to prepare, and consists of ingredients and spices that you probably already have on hand. You can also customize this recipe by using all of your favorite toppings and garnish. I love adding cold fresh toppings and cheeses.
One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is that I can throw all the ingredients into my slow cooker, and let it simmer throughout the day, allowing all of the flavors to mix and marinate. I can go about my day, I don’t have to touch it, and it makes the house smell amazing. I recommend that you serve it hot with shredded cheese on top and lots of cold, freshly-chopped veggies for a delicious melt-in-your-mouth soup. You can cook a large batch to eat over a few days, or store a portion in the freezer for the future.
Check out the full recipe and directions below, as well as some recommendations on creating variations.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||5 hr||5 hr 15 m|
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large slow cooker, combine the chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked, tender, and falling apart, about 5 to 6 hours.
- Pull the chicken from the pot, and shred it with a fork. Then place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Top soup with Monterey Jack cheese and cover to let it melt, about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the tortilla crisps: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add tortilla strips, and cook until crispy and golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer the tortilla strips onto a paper towel-lined plate, and season with salt.
- Serve the soup topped with tortilla crisps, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice.
- You can make this recipe as a vegetarian option by omitting the chicken. The spices and flavors will still blend together well.
- If you’re strapped for time, you can prepare this recipe faster by cooking it in a pot on the stove. This is where a fully-cooked rotisserie chicken comes in handy.
- You can use any of your favorite shredded cheeses. Cheddar cheese is delicious too.
- If you don’t have fresh corn tortillas, you can also crumble up tortilla chips to place over the top of your soup.
- For a spicy version, you can add any spicy salsa to the slow cooker, or just add salsa to individual bowls before serving.
- To try out more delicious soups, check out our Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe, Panera Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, and Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Recipe.