Whether you’re coming down with a cold or simply want something comforting to sip on, Panera’s Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup hits the spot every time. From the refreshing lemon zest to the hearty flavors of chicken, carrots, and rice, this dish is a perfect way to warm up – regardless of the season. However, it’s not always available on Panera’s menu, so we’re sharing a copycat recipe that you can make at home anytime as long as you have a slow cooker and a handful of basic ingredients.
Panera Bread's Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 6-quart Slow Cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 Cans reduced-sodium chicken broth (14-1/2 ounces each)
- 8 cups Coarsely chopped Swiss chard, kale or spinach
- 2 Large carrots finely chopped
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 1 Medium lemon halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 4 tsp Grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 4 cups Cooked brown rice
- Drizzle olive oil onto a skillet and heat on high.
- After chopping up chicken, add to skillet and cook all the way through.
- Add cooked chicken to the slow cooker crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, chicken broth, greens, carrots, onion, lemon, lemon juice, lemon zest, and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add cooked rice, stir, and serve immediately.
For more soups you can make at home, check out our Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe.