Is there anything better than hot soup on a cold winter day? Maybe it not being a cold winter day. Weather changes aside, I say nothing. And nothing beats the chills with a down-home-comfort-food vibe like Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup. Which, of course, I’ve taken the liberty of creating a copycat for you that’s quick, easy to follow, and OMG so good!
It’s a great source of fiber, protein, calcium and vitamin D when you can’t get it from going outside! Is it any wonder it makes us feel so great? Oh, and did I mention you can freeze it?
|Serves||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|6||20 min||45 min||1 h 05 min|
- 1 lb. Hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Wash and prep your veggies and removing casing from sausage. Mince garlic, halve, peel, and dice onions into ¼ in pieces, dice potatoes into ½ in pieces, remove kale leaves from stem and roughly chop.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking up into crumbles until browned and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While sausage cooks, cook bacon in a separate pan. Transfer sausage and bacon to a paper towel covered plate to drain.
- Wipe out pot used for sausage and add onion. Let cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in kale and let cook until leaves are tender and bright green, 3 minutes. Once tender, stir in heavy cream, sausage, and bacon and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Season with pepper, garnish with parmesan, and serve.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36.8g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 14.8g||74%|
|Total Carbohydrate 46g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.4g||26%|
|Total Sugars 4.5g|
|Vitamin D 8mcg||39%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
- Serve with Italian bread and salad, just like at Olive Garden!
- This soup freezes well for up to 2 months and does well in the fridge for up to 5 days (but expect some separation as it cools!)
Everytime i prepare this copycat recipe my grand parents enjoy it. Their favorite.
This is my favorite meal to prepare because it can be stored in the freezer for a long period of time.
Olive Garden zuppa toscana soup the bomb, can’t wait to try this!
I’ve tried plenty of soup recipes and guess what this one is just the best.
This could be a quick vegetarian meal for me im gona substitute the bacon and sausage with my favorite vegetables 🙂
My husband tried his hand at this dish and he said it was very simple to prepare, i enjoyed it though
Every time i visit Olive Garden i order the zuppa toscana. This is the best!
Im a beginner at cooking and i made this dish:D yummy!
I bet my homemade zuppa toscana tasted better than yours!
You have on here the serving is 6 but surely didn’t satisfy my family of 3!
Mildred Davies you guyz are huge eaters, this homemade meal was quite satisfying for my family. Lol