Should you go for a McMuffin or hold out for a Big Mac? Yeah, we’ve all been there.
Before you rush to the nearest location, read this article because it’s your go-to guide for mastering the McDonald’s lunch transition, ensuring you never miss out on your favorite meal.
In this article
- When Does McDonald’s Start Serving Lunch?
- When Can I Start Ordering Lunch at McDonald’s?
- How Long is Lunch Served at McDonalds?
- Can I Order Breakfast During Lunch Times At McDonalds?
- Can I Order Lunch at McDonalds Before 10 am?
- Does McDonald’s Serve Lunch at The Same Time Across All Worldwide Locations?
- What Can I Order for Lunch at McDonalds?
When Does McDonald’s Start Serving Lunch?
When does McDonald’s start serving lunch? Most McDonald’s locations start serving lunch at 10:30 a.m. local time from Monday through Friday. On weekends, McDonald’s starts serving lunch between 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. local time.
Lunch times do vary by location. This is because each franchise’s owner has the freedom to set the hours they way they want. If you want to be sure, it’s always best to call the location you are planning to visit.
When Can I Start Ordering Lunch at McDonald’s?
At most McDonalds locations, you can start to ordering lunch at 10:30 a.m. local time from Monday through Friday. Basically, you can order as soon at the location switches their menu from breakfast to lunch.
How Long is Lunch Served at McDonalds?
Lunch at McDonald’s is usually served from lunchtime and until the location is closed. For example, if a McDonald’s starts serving lunch at 10.30 am and closes at 10.30pm, they will be serving lunch for 12 hours. The lunch and dinner menus at McDonalds are the same. At 24-hour McDonald’s location, the lunch is served for a lot longer. At 24-hour McDonalds that starts serving breakfast at 5.00 am and finish at 10.30 am, lunch is served for 18 hours 30 minutes. If you live near a 24-hour McDonald’s, this means you can get your hands on a juicy Big Mac even at 3 am!
Can I Order Breakfast During Lunch Times At McDonalds?
You cannot order breakfast at McDonalds during lunch times. The reason why McDonald’s doesn’t serve breakfast items during lunchtime is because this slows the service and reduces efficiency.
Customers often do not want to wait long to get their food – after all, fast food restaurants are called fast food for a reason. Adding breakfast during lunch times significantly slows the process down since many breakfast items are cooked to order.
Another reason why McDonald’s does not serve breakfast during lunchtime is limited space. Most franchises don’t have adequate space to store all the items and equipment needed to service the breakfast and lunch menu at the same time.
One way McDonald’s ensures efficiency is by using the Universal Holding Cabinet. This cabinet stores menu items and makes it easier for cooks and servers to access food items for faster order preparation. Being at full capacity all day, it’s almost impossible to fit breakfast and lunch items in the Universal Holding Cabinet without affecting the efficiency.
Interestingly, McDonald’s used to serve all-day breakfast in many locations until 2020. The all-day breakfast menu was discontinued in 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic to improve efficiency. This allowed restaurants to prepare and dish out orders faster and more efficiently to ensure people don’t have to wait long to get their food.
Can I Order Lunch at McDonalds Before 10 am?
You cannot order lunch at McDonald’s before 10 a.m. Just like how the restaurant maintains efficiency by not serving breakfast during lunchtime, it does the same for lunch items during breakfast times. You can only order lunch during lunch times at McDonald’s, which typically starts from 10:30 a.m. For most McDonald’s locations, the only time you won’t be able to order lunch is during breakfast hours between 5 am and 10.30 am.
Does McDonald’s Serve Lunch at The Same Time Across All Worldwide Locations?
McDonald’s lunch times vary based on the location and country. In the US, lunch times usually start between 10.30 and 11 am, local time. In Europe, lunch generally starts at noon.
Most European McDonald’s locations serve breakfast till noon. However, you can find locations with the same lunch times as locations in the US – this is the same for other locations worldwide. Some McDonald’s locations in different countries will have pretty special lunch hours.
For example, McDonald’s in Malaysia usually serves lunch between 12 pm and 3 pm, local time. During this time, customers can order from the McValue lunch menu and enjoy discounted prices. The restaurant does the same during dinner, from 6 pm to 9 pm, local time, and offers McValue Dinner meals.
But, this doesn’t mean that you can’t order from the lunch and dinner menu outside these time ranges. You can still order from the lunch menu from noon in Malaysia McDonald’s location. The only difference is that you won’t enjoy access to the McValue lunch or dinner menus.
McDonald’s in Spain usually serves breakfast until 1 p.m., local time. This gives late sleepers enough time to grab their favorite breakfast menu items. However, lunch times still begin around 10.30 am to 11 am in Spain.
What Can I Order for Lunch at McDonalds?
McDonald’s has over 100 menu item available to order for lunch. Here are just a few ideas:
- Big Mac: The iconic double-decker burger that needs no introduction. Perfect for when you’re really, really hungry.
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese: For those who like their burgers simple but packed with flavor.
- Chicken McNuggets: Ideal for sharing. Or not. We won’t judge.
- Filet-O-Fish: A golden, crispy fish filet with tartar sauce. A Lenten favorite, but why limit yourself?
- Happy Meal: Not Just for Kids! Choose between a cheeseburger, hamburger, or 4-piece Chicken McNuggets.
- Apple Slices: A side that won’t make you feel guilty.
- Side Salad: Greens to balance out those fries, perhaps?
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich: Less guilt, more flavor.
- The Sides: Because Fries Aren’t the Only Option
- Fries: Okay, they might be the most popular option, but…
- Apple Pie: Sweet, warm, and the perfect end to any meal.
- Soft Drinks: The usual suspects—Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and more.
- Iced Coffee: For when you need a caffeine kick.
- Milkshakes: Because you’re an adult, and you can have a milkshake for lunch if you want to.
- Land, Sea, and Air Burger: That’s a beef patty, a chicken patty, and a Filet-O-Fish patty all in one bun. Don’t knock it ’til you try it.
- McGangBang: A McChicken sandwiched between a double cheeseburger. It’s a thing.
TLDR: McDonald’s generally flips from breakfast to lunch at 10:30 a.m. on weekdays and 11 a.m. on weekends. This isn’t universal. Depending on where you are, these times can vary. If you want to be 100% sure, always, and I mean always, check the local hours and special items before you go.