The KFC Famous Bowl is the perfect mix of all of their most popular foods – a bowl of mashed potatoes and corn is topped with a few pieces of fried chicken and shredded cheese. It’s a delicious bowl of comfort, perfect for a Friday night with Netflix. But if you’d rather make a delicious “comfort food” bowl from home, now you can. We’re sharing a copycat KFC Famous Bowl recipe that doesn’t take a lot of time, and you probably already have all of the ingredients you need.
There are a couple of variations between the recipe we’re sharing and the original Famous Bowl recipe. For the sake of simplicity, our recipe calls for one packet of McCormick gravy. However, if you’d like to, you can make a homemade version of KFC’s gravy. In the original KFC Famous Bowl recipe, KFC uses their famous popcorn chicken, but this recipe calls for chicken breast, cut into small strips. This recipe is for two servings, so simply double it if you’re preparing it for a family of four.
You won’t need to prepare or serve anything else with this meal – it’s perfectly filling just as it is.
KFC Famous Bowl Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 5 potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 McCormick Chicken Gravy Mix
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 can corn
- First, cut your potatoes into 2 sq inch cubes, so they will boil faster. You may take the skins off or leave them on.
- Then boil water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling, add in the potatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, clean the chicken breast, and cut them into strips about an inch thick and 2-3 inches long.
- Take 3 separate bowls. Add the eggs to one bowl and whisk them together. In the second bowl, add the flour and salt. In the third bowl, add the Panko bread crumbs.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep fryer or deep pan. Heat to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, dip each piece of chicken into the bowl of flour, then dip them in the bowl of whisked eggs, then into the bowl of Panko. Place each piece onto the frying pan, and cover with a lid. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they're golden brown. Once they're completely cooked, take them out of the oil and set them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil from the chicken.
- Once potatoes are soft enough, drain out the water. Add milk and butter a little bit at a time and begin to mash until desired consistency. Then add cream cheese while mashing. Add extra salt to taste.
- Follow the directions on a package of McCormick Chicken Gravy. In a small saucepan, add the packet with 1 cup of cold water and whisk together.
- Pour the can of corn into the mashed potatoes and stir them well.
- In your serving bowl, spoon in some mashed potatoes and corn. Then add the chicken strips, pour on a big spoonful of gravy, and sprinkle on a big of cheddar cheese. Serve hot, and enjoy.
KFC offers a spicy version of the Famous Bowl, and when they offer it for a discount – even better!