I’ve always loved going to Cracker Barrel for their savory breakfasts, full of southern comfort flavor. Cracker Barrel’s hashbrown casserole is a family favorite, but when you want a southern homecooked meal without leaving home, this is a favorite side dish for both kids and adults. You can prepare it as a side dish for either breakfast or dinner, or even prepare it ahead of time and keep it in the freezer until you’re ready to bake it. The best part is that you can use frozen hashbrowns instead of fresh potatoes without sacrificing freshness or flavor. I’m all about convenience.
This cheesy hashbrown casserole calls for a can of cream of chicken soup, but you can also use cream of cheddar to make it extra cheesy. This is a very simple recipe, but you can make different variations, such as placing crispy fried onions over the top before baking, or by mixing in fresh slices of jalapeños for some spicy heat. You could also substitute Colby cheese for other cheese – my favorite is grated cheddar cheese.
This dish pairs well with eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, and fresh orange juice. You could also serve it as a side dish to a chicken dinner and vegetables.
Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- 2 pounds frozen hashbrowns
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 10 1/2 oz cream of chicken soup
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the olive oil into a skillet and bring it to medium-high heat. Cook the hash browns, onions, and salt to taste until the hash browns are tender and brown. Drain the hashbrowns on a plate covered with paper towels. Set aside.
- Next, in a separate bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and the cream of chicken soup. Add the hash browns to the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a buttered 2 qt. casserole dish, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. The cheese should be nice and crispy.
Be sure that your hash browns have thawed before you cook them. Otherwise, they take a very long time to bake. You can defrost them in the microwave to speed up this process, and pat them dry to remove excess water. Or take them out of the freezer and let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
For more recipe inspiration, check out our Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings recipe and our Cracker Barrel Meatloaf recipe.
Making this for Easter Brunch. I am assuming you add the sour cream with the cream of chicken soup and cheese?