I love all of the meat, cheese, and veggie options that Subway offers for their subs. I especially love the Subway Italian Sub that has just the right amount of spice and flavor. It’s the next level up from a ham and cheese sandwich, and even though I enjoy having Subway make their masterpiece subs, sometimes I like to prepare them myself. Now with this simple recipe, I can make them in just a few minutes, and so can you.
The Subway Italian Sub is the perfect lunch recipe – it’s fresh and easily customizable. In the recipe below, we share the basic ingredients to make your own. You’ll want a variety pack of meats, including Salami, Capocollo, and Calabrese. You’ll also need two slices of Provolone cheese per sub. Then choose your veggies: spinach, lettuce, tomato slices, onion slices, pickles, banana peppers, and olive slices. This recipe calls for mayo and Dijon mustard. But occasionally, I like to add a squirt of vinegar, salt, and pepper as well. That’s the beauty of making your own subs- you can customize them any way you like.
If you’re serving immediately, go ahead and spread the mayo and mustard on the bread. If you’re going to serve them at a later time, refrigerate the subs in cling wrap and spread on the dressing just before serving.
Subway Italian Sub Recipe
- 3 Deli hoagie buns
- 6 oz variety pack of thin-sliced Italian meats: Salami, Capocollo, Calabrese
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- Choice of vegetables, including spinach, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, banana peppers, olives
- Dijon Mustard
- Slice each hoagie bun lengthwise and spread mayo and Dijon on each side of the bread. Lay on the meats, the Provolone, and then your choice of veggies. Close it up, cut it in half, and serve immediately.
- If you're serving immediately, dress each sandwich with Mayonnaise and Dijon and cut in half. If you're serving the subs later, wrap each one in cling wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, and add the dressing just before serving.
If you love sub sandwiches as I do, check out our post on the Best Sub Sandwiches and where you can find them.