I love a good mushroom burger, but the ‘Shroom Burger at Shake Shack stands out because of its texture and structure. Unlike other mushroom burgers, this one is roasted, stuffed, and deep-fried. Lucky for us, we can replicate this delicious recipe right from our own homes. It may take a little extra time to prepare, but the end result is so satisfying, you’ll feel like a pro chef!
Most of the ingredients in this recipe you likely already have on hand. We would recommend using fresh mushroom caps though so that there’s a nice bite to your burger. You don’t want a mushy mushroom – as ironic as that sounds.
The cheese disks you’ll place inside your sliced mushroom caps is best if it’s made fresh and refrigerated. Don’t leave the mixture out to get too warm, and be sure that they aren’t too thick or they may be hard to eat once you place them inside the mushroom caps and inside the burger buns.
This is a hearty, full meal that vegetarians and carnivores alike will enjoy. Kids may only eat half of a shroom burger, so even though this recipe yields 4 burgers, you may be able to stretch it a little further. I like to serve them with a side of crispy curly fries. Enjoy!
Copycat Shake Shack 'Shroom Burger
Mushroom Caps and Filling
- 4 4-inch portobello mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for deep-frying
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, divided
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 1/8 tsp minced garlic
- 1 dash Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp ShackSauce (see below)
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 pieces green leaf lettuce
- 8 1/4-inch slices ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp Heinz ketchup
- 1/4 tsp kosher dill pickling brine
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
For Mushroom Caps and Filling
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Place the mushroom caps on a medium baking pan. Rub the caps with 1/4 cup of canola oil, and then season both sides with salt and pepper. Arrange the mushrooms gill side down in a single layer and roast until tender, for about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove mushroom caps from the oven and set aside to cool. Slice them in half horizontally (through their bellies, like you're slicing a hamburger bun).
- Grab 3 separate wide dishes. Put the 1 1/2 cups flour in one dish, beat 3 eggs in the second dish, put the panko in a third dish, and set aside.
- For the filling, mix together the Muenster and cheddar cheeses, onion, garlic, remaining 1/4 teaspoon flour, remaining egg yolk, and cayenne pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Then set aside.
- Shape the filling into 4 equal disks, 1/2 inch smaller in diameter than the mushroom caps. Place these cheese disks on the gill side of each mushroom cap, cover the disk with the other half of the mushroom cap, (cut side down) and gently press together to secure the filling.
- Dredge the stuffed mushroom caps in the flour, then dip them in the beaten egg, coating them completely. Next, dredge them in the panko. Set the prepared mushrooms on a plate and refrigerate while heating the oil to deep-fry them.
- To cook the mushroom burgers, pour the oil into a deep, wide pot to a depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches a temperature of 350° F. Deep-fry the prepared mushrooms, one or two at a time, until golden brown and crisp all over. This should take about 3 or 4 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to drain on paper towels, and season with salt.
For the Shack Sauce
- Simply whisk all the sauce ingredients together to combine.
For Serving the Final Dish
- Spoon the Shack Sauce onto the inside of the toasted top bun. Add a piece of lettuce and two slices of tomato. Transfer the mushroom burgers to the prepared buns. Enjoy!
- Be sure to preheat your oven to save prep time.
- It's a good idea to place uncooked mushroom patties in the fridge in between preparing/stuffing them and cooking them. This helps to keep all of the ingredients from falling apart or getting mushy.
We love this recipe so much it made our roundup of 30+ Cheap & Easy Recipes. Check it out for more quick dinner ideas!