Everyone I know who hosts potlucks and dinners thinks they have the best mashed potato recipe. It’s always fun to try everyone’s dishes even though no one wants to reveal their secrets. That’s ok – now there’s a new recipe I can use at our next potluck, and this one is no secret. Longhorn Steakhouse Mashed Potatoes are some of the smoothest, most buttery mashed potatoes out there. The recipe itself is super simple, and it requires only a few ingredients. The key to this recipe is using a hand mixer instead of a potato masher, to give the potatoes their smooth texture. This recipe calls for a specific amount of heavy cream and sour cream, but you can easily add more if you want. To keep the recipe true to Longhorn Steakhouse, the only spices needed are salt and pepper to taste.
The prep time is pretty simple. Boil your pot of water while you cut the potatoes. You don’t have to cut them too small, but the smaller the pieces, the faster they will cook. I usually cut mine around one to two inch cubes, and my potatoes are cooked all the way through in about 30 minutes. After draining the water, mix all of the other ingredients, and blend until extra creamy.
Longhorn Steakhouse Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, pour water into a large pot and bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-2 inch cubes. Place them in the large pot, bring the boil down to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Cook the potatoes for about 25 minutes or until a fork cuts through them easily.
- Once the potatoes have finished cooking, drain the water and set them aside.
- Mix together the softened butter with the minced garlic. Then add the heavy cream, butter, and sour cream to the potatoes and mix with a hand mixer until pureed. You may have to add more heavy cream to get the extra smooth consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot and enjoy.
- To get the same consistency of Longhorn Mashed Potatoes, you will want to use a hand mixer or a blender instead of a potato masher.
This is a delicious side dish that complements all kinds of main dishes, including the Longhorn Steakhouse Parmesan Chicken Copycat Recipe. Try them out together, and let us know what you think.