People often think that McDonalds and high-protein are not possible. However, it is possible as long as you have an action plan. To make things easier for you, we’ve analyzed the menu at McDonald’s and selected the three options with the highest protein content per 100 calories.
In this article
- High Protein McDonald’s Meals
- Chicken And Fish Sandwich
- Final Thoughts
High Protein McDonald’s Meals
We’ve grouped the meals based on the type of food they are. So, you’ll find a breakfast, burger, chicken and fish sandwich, and nuggets category. Each category will have the top three meals with the highest protein-to-calorie ratio on the menu.
Here is an overview (per serving) of all the items in the list:
|Food||Calories (g)||Carbs (g)||Fats (g)||Protein (g)||Protein per 100 calories (g)|
|Sausage McMuffin With Egg||480||30||31||20||4.2|
|Bacon, Egg, And Cheese McGriddles||430||44||21||17||4.0|
|Double Quarter Pounder With Cheese||740||43||42||48||6.5|
|Quarter Pounder With Cheese||520||42||26||30||5.8|
|Quarter Pounder With Cheese And Bacon||630||43||35||26||5.7|
|Deluxe McCrispy, Spicy McCrispy, and Spicy Deluxe McCrispy||530||48||26||27||5.1|
- Per serving: 310 calories, 30 grams of carbs, 12 grams of fats, 17 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 5.5 grams of protein
The breakfast with the highest protein-to-calorie ratio on the menu is the Egg McMuffin. The good news is that you can make it even better by removing some ingredients.
Next time, ask to have it without any butter. This reduces the calories to 280, and the protein content stays unchanged. So, in the end, you’ll have 6.1 grams of protein per 100 calories.
Sausage McMuffin With Egg
- Per serving: 480 calories, 30 grams of carbs, 31 grams of fats, 20 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 4.2 grams of protein
The best next option is the Sausage McMuffin With Egg. But, keep in mind that it has a higher sodium content (830 mg). So, make the necessary changes for the rest of the day to avoid high sodium consumption.
To make the meal even better, ask for the McMuffin without any butter or American cheese. You’ll have a breakfast burger with 410 calories and 18 grams of protein (4.4 grams of protein per 100 calories).
Bacon, Egg, And Cheese McGriddles
- Per serving: 430 calories, 44 grams of carbs, 21 grams of fats, 17 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 4.0 grams of protein
The last good breakfast option is the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese McGriddles. It offers a decent amount of protein compared to other options.
However, it has the highest sodium content on our list, with 1,230 mg per serving (54% of the daily recommended value). So, eat in moderation.
Double Quarter Pounder With Cheese
- Per serving: 740 calories, 43 grams of carbs, 42 grams of fats, 48 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 6.5 grams of protein
When it comes to selecting the best high-protein burger on the menu, the best option is the Double Quarter Pounder with cheese. This option offers 6.5 grams of protein per 100 calories, and there are ways to make it even higher.
Next time, ask to remove the cheese. This will drop the calories to 640, and it will provide 43 grams of protein (6.7 grams of protein per 100 calories).
Quarter Pounder With Cheese
- Per serving: 520 calories, 42 grams of carbs, 26 grams of fats, 30 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 5.8 grams of protein
The second best on the burger with the highest protein per calorie ratio is the Quarter Pounder with Cheese with 5.7 grams of protein per 100 calories.
This one can also be made without cheese. This will reduce calorie count by 100 and increase the protein content to 6.0 grams per 100 calories.
Quarter Pounder With Cheese And Bacon
- Per serving: 630 calories, 43 grams of carbs, 35 grams of fats, 36 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 5.7 grams of protein
The Quarter Pounder with Cheese and Bacon is another great high-protein burger. If you don’t make any modifications, it has the same stats as the Quarter Pounder with Cheese.
Removing the American cheese will save 100 calories and increase the ratio to 5.8 grams of protein per 100 calories.
Chicken And Fish Sandwich
- Per serving: 470 calories, 46 grams of carbs, 20 grams of fats, 26 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 5.5 grams of protein
If you are not a fan of meat burgers or want some variety, the McCrispy is a great option with a good amount of protein. In this case, the McCrispy is the best option for the chicken and fish sandwiches.
To cut down some calories, ask to remove butter. This will reduce the calories to 420 and you’ll get 6.2 grams of protein per 100 calories.
Deluxe McCrispy, Spicy McCrispy, and Spicy Deluxe McCrispy
- Per serving: 530 calories, 48 grams of carbs, 26 grams of fats, 27 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 5.1 grams of protein
The Deluxe McCrispy, Spicy McCrispy, and Spicy Deluxe McCrispy all have the same nutritional values.
The only burger you can modify would be the Deluxe McCrispy. Removing the mayo gets calories down to 430 and offers 6.3 grams of protein per 100 calories.
The only way to reduce the calories in the Spicy and Deluxe Spicy McCrispy is to remove the spicy sauce. But, in that case, you might as well get the regular McCrispy.
- Per serving: 410 calories, 26 grams of carbs, 24 grams of fats, 23 grams of protein
- Per 100 calories: 5.6 grams of protein
Chicken McNuggets is a decent high protein option at McDonalds. Now, be careful of the sauce you decide to add since it can increase the calories. If possible, have your nuggets without any sauce, or with as little as possible.
If you need to add a sauce, here is how it affects the calories and protein-by-calorie ratio. Each option gives you the total calories between the sauce and the nuggets.
- Creamy ranch sauce: 530 calories and 4.3 grams of protein per 100 calories.
- Honey mustard sauce: 470 calories and 4.9 grams of protein per 100 calories.
- Sweet ‘N sour sauce: 460 calories and 5.0 grams of protein per 100 calories.
- Tangy barbecue sauce: 460 calories and 5.0 grams of protein per 100 calories.
- Spicy Buffalo sauces: 450 calories and 5.1 grams of protein per 100 calories.
When choosing the best high-protein meals in McDonald’s, the best way to go is with the burgers since they offer between 6 to 6.5 grams of protein per 100 calories. However, if you want variety, there are other good options.
While salads are always the best option when it comes to protein-by-calorie ratio, currently, McDonalds is not offering them in the US. So, in the meantime, try to select the best based on your needs and what is available.