Logan’s Roadhouse Fried Mushrooms are a real crowd-pleaser and a favorite appetizer. The secret to this recipe is in the batter – the buttermilk gives the mushrooms their unique taste. But now that you know the secret, you can replicate this recipe at home. Even better, you can make as many as you want, and because the recipe is so fast and simple, you can spend more time enjoying them than cooking them.
The recipe we share below calls for all-purpose flour, but you can also substitute the flour for Panko breadcrumbs for an extra crunchy bite. You can eat them as they are or dip them in your favorite sauce. I like a sweet and sour sauce or a honey mustard sauce. You can also serve this as a side dish to the main meal. It pairs great with a steak or meat dish and a loaded baked potato.
be sure to check our tips below the recipe for additional ways to use this delicious fried mushroom batter.
Logan's Roadhouse Fried Mushrooms
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound fresh white button mushrooms
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- First, pour the oil into a large saucepan or deep fryer to a depth of 3 to 4 inches. Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. If the stems are very large (greater than 3/4 inch), you can trim them. If the mushrooms are small, there is no need to trim off the stem.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl, and stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk and water.
- Dredge the mushrooms in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess, and then dip them in the buttermilk. Dredge them in the flour again, knocking off the excess flour.
- Place the mushrooms gently into the hot oil, and cook them until they are golden brown. It will take about 2 to 3 minutes for the mushrooms. Then drain them on a wire rack.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
- Buttermilk always makes a nice thick batter. This same batter could be used to make chicken fried steaks, chicken tenders, or onion rings.
- You could substitute flour for breadcrumbs for an extra crunch.
Are you looking for a meat dish to accompany your fried mushrooms? Texas Roadhouse is offering ready-to-grill steaks during this time, as grocery stores are struggling to keep a meat supply. Now you can prepare and enjoy your favorite cut of meat at home, including ribeye, strips, sirloin, and filet.