Sweet potato casserole – a staple dish in the fall and winter months. Sweet, savory, and wonderful to smell while it cooks – it’s the star dish in holiday and group gatherings. Boston Market offers a delicious sweet potato casserole, along with other meat dishes and holiday favorites. But for a fraction of the price, you can make your own version at home with this Copycat Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole.
The ingredients aren’t complicated, but be sure to use orange sweet potatoes instead of white ones- they’re much sweeter. This recipe doesn’t require a lot of steps, but it does require some time. The sweet potato chunks should cook for at least an hour to be tender and mashable. To save time, you can pre-heat your oven while the potatoes cook. Grease a casserole dish, and place the mashed potatoes inside. Smooth them out and top them with mini marshmallows. You’ll make the topping separately and add it to the top just before putting it in the oven. Bake the casserole for about 25 minutes, or until the topping is crispy and the marshmallows are golden. I like to add crushed and whole pecans to my topping, but if you prefer, you can omit the nuts completely. Serve hot and enjoy this Copycat Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole.
Copycat Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
For the Topping
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, crushed, optional
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Potatoes
- Fill a large pot with the sweet potato pieces and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until fork-tender. This will take about an hour. Drain the potatoes and place them back into the pot. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or blend with an electric mixer until mostly smooth. Add the remaining ingredients (except the topping ingredients). Mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8”x10” casserole dish (8x8 or 9x9 works too). Spoon the sweet potatoes into the casserole dish and smooth out them. Sprinkle the top of sweet potatoes with marshmallows.
For the Topping
- Melt the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Add the remaining topping ingredients. Mix with a fork. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake the sweet potato casserole for 20-25 minutes until the topping is crisp and the marshmallows are golden brown.
- You can use any nuts you prefer, or omit them completely.
Looking for more sweets to satisfy your cravings? Boston Market is giving away free pumpkin pies before the end of 2020.