Taco Bell’s Crunchwrap Supreme was a genius idea launched in 2006. The idea was to combine three popular concepts into one flavorful wrap: a crispy ground beef taco, a soft taco, and their famous nacho cheese. The whole thing is wrapped together and grilled like a giant delicious quesadilla.
Would you believe that you can easily make a Crunchwrap Supreme yourself from home? It might even be better than Taco bell’s version. You can follow our Taco Bell Beef recipe here so that the flavor is as close to legendary as you can get it. You might think it’s difficult to wrap, but there’s a technique that makes it super easy, using large flour tortillas and crunchy tostada shells. You can serve crunch wraps with sour cream or salsa on top, or just eat it as it is- you won’t be disappointed.
This is a fun meal to make, and the whole family will enjoy it. Check out the full recipe below, and be sure to read our recommendations for wrapping the flour tortillas so that it stays together. It’s like an art form, so it might take some practice, but you’ll probably want to eat this pretty often, so we’re sure you’ll get the hang of it.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20 min||25 min||45 min|
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 c. nacho cheese sauce
- 4 tostada shells
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 c. shredded lettuce
- 1 c. chopped tomatoes
- 1 c. shredded cheddar
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, combine the ground beef and all of the spices, and season it with a pinch of salt and pepper. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until it’s no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain the fat, place the beef in another bowl or container, and wipe the skillet clean.
- In a separate area, stack 4 of the large flour tortillas on top of each other, and place a tostada shell in the center. Using a paring knife, trace around edges of the tostada shell to cut 4 smaller flour tortilla rounds.Build Crunchwraps:
- Add a scoop of ground beef to the center each of the remaining 4 large flour tortillas, leaving a generous border for folding. Drizzle the nacho cheese sauce over the ground beef, and then place a tostada shell on top. Next, add lettuce, tomato, and cheeses on top of the tostada shell. Place one of the smaller flour tortilla cutouts on top, and tightly fold the edges of the large tortilla toward the center, creating pleats. Quickly invert Crunchwraps so pleats are on the bottom and they stay together.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil. Add the Crunchwrap seam-side down and cook until the tortilla is golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat with the remaining Crunchwraps.
- You can make your own nacho cheese or queso dip, or pick up a jar at the store. Instead of drizzling the cheese over the ground beef, you could also stir it into the ground beef in the skillet. The cheese acts as a glue so that it’s easier to scoop the beef for assembly, and it ensures that every bite of beef has cheesy sauce on it.
- You could substitute ground beef for ground chicken or ground turkey for a leaner option.
- You can also create a vegetarian option by omitting the ground beef.
- Be sure to fold the large flour tortillas quickly so the wrap doesn’t fall apart during assembly. Also, be sure that your skillet is hot before you place your Crunchwrap on it.
For more Taco Bell foods you can make at home, check out our copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza Recipe.