Benihana’s Fried Rice is one of those dishes that’s perfect as a side dish, a full lunch, or even a late-night snack while you Netflix and chill. It’s deep-fried with an Asian flair and fresh vegetables, and it’s so easy to prepare, you can do it yourself from home!
You can use either brown or white rice, but we would recommend using high-quality rice, instead of Minute-rice, which can get clumpy and mushy when stir-fried with the vegetables. You can also include any of your favorite stir fry vegetables, even if we didn’t include them here. The important thing to remember is the fresher the vegetables, the better the dish. But if you’re in a hurry, you could use frozen vegetables.
We’re sharing a very simple recipe that is close to Benihana’s fried rice version, except it’s fresher, and you can add your favorite variations as you please. While this recipe is a vegetarian version, you can add chicken for any meat-lovers in your family. We would recommend preparing one-inch pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast if you choose to add meat. We’ve included tips below this recipe. You can safely store any leftovers in the refrigerator for four or five days.
Benihana Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
- 3 tbsp garlic butter
- 5 eggs
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, pre-heat the oven to 350° to bake the sesame seeds. You can also use a toaster oven for this step.
- Next, cook the rice according to package instructions. Then set it aside.
- While the rice is cooling, spread the sesame seeds in a shallow baking pan. Bake them until they are golden brown or about 10 to 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally for even color. Then remove from the oven, and set them aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Stir in the onions, carrots, and scallions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat another large skillet or a wok if you have one. Add a splash of oil and swirl it around. Pour the eggs into the hot skillet, and cook as you would scrambled eggs. When the eggs are nearly done, add the vegetables, rice, 2 tablespoons of the garlic butter (you can add more if desired), and sesame seeds. Then sprinkle with the soy sauce. Stir-fry until everything is mixed and hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl and enjoy.
- We recommend using high-quality long-grain rice for this recipe instead of Minute-rice, if possible.
- If you'd like to add chicken to this recipe, you can cut a half-pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Cook the chicken over oil, and when it's lightly brown, add 2 tablespoons of butter to coat the chicken. Set it aside and add it to the mixture in the last stir fry step.
Are you missing ingredients? Or looking for a dish to accompany your fried rice? Check out our list of 60 delivery services to help you out.