In-N-Out Burger is perhaps one of the best known fast food joints in the American Southwest. Their menu consists of the usual cheeseburger, regular hamburger, and the Double-Double, which has two slices of cheese and two burger patties. They come with onions, spread, lettuce, or tomato, and customers are asked to specify if they want the ingredients fresh or grilled. But what a lot of people don’t know about is the In-N-Out secret menu.
Although they are not advertised, these menu items are available in most locations. They have ingredients that can be mixed and matched to come up with an original recipe. You can’t go wrong on this secret menu, but before you can enjoy it, you need to know what’s on it:
- Flying Dutchman ($2.10) – No buns, no onions, no lettuce—only two slices of melted cheese, sandwiched by two beef patties.
- Veggie Burger – This is the sandwich for vegetarians and vegans; only bun plus vegetables.
- Grilled Cheese ($2.35) – Bread, a couple of slices of American cheese (melted), spread, tomato, and hand-leafed lettuce.
- Double Meat ($3.40) – Bun, two beef patties, tomato, spread, hand-leafed lettuce, with or without onions.
- 3 x 3 – Bun, three patties, tomato, spread, lettuce, three slices of American cheese, with or without onions.
- 4 x 4 – Bun, four beef patties, tomato, spread, hand-leafed lettuce, four slices of American cheese, onions optional.
- Protein Style ($2.05) – Your burger of choice, wrapped in hand-leafed lettuce; no bun.
- Animal Style – Your favorite burger with a mustard cooked beef patty, tomato, lettuce, with additional pickle and spread.
The above are just for the hamburgers. Other items include:
- Condiments – Spread, hot yellow chili peppers, cold cheese
- Onion styles – Raw sliced/standard, chopped; fresh or grilled
- Fries ($1.60) – Light, light well, well, extra-well, animal style
- Drinks – Root beer floats, Lemon-Up, lemonade and tea mix, choco-vanilla swirl shake, Neapolitan shake, large and extra large shake
An extra patty will cost $0.75, while an extra cheese will cost $0.30. If you’re going to get a meal, the cost would be from $5.25 to $8, depending on the kind of sandwich you’re having or the add-ons you want to include. Enjoy mealtime with your friends so you can compare notes about who made the best combinations.
More than 10 years ago, In-N-Out accommodated orders of burgers of any size. But after they saw a post about a 100×100 creation, they only allowed 4×4 burgers or smaller. It doesn’t mean that if you can’t make a 5×5 or larger, you can’t enjoy crafting new recipes. Just think of all the things that you like in a big bad burger and you’re on your way to your masterpiece.
These are the ones that you can try:
Would you like fries with your burger? Yes? Then stuff your animal style fries inside a Double-Double. This menu isn’t a big secret since a Twitter rumor started this a few years ago. Try to request for this from In-N-Out and see if they will make it for you; if not, you can always do it yourself. It tastes absolutely wonderful. Try it!
As stated above, this creation is really for those who don’t want animal products in their food. What you’ll have is a combination of a freshly baked bun, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce, which will be appreciated by vegans. If you’re vegetarian, you can add the spread, if you want. And to make things a little bit exciting, since the patties and cheese were already removed, add fries inside the sandwich. They are fried using “100% pure, cholesterol-free vegetable oil,” so you should have no worries about how it was done. Get the extra-well ones to add crisp in every bite.
Animal-Style Flying Dutchman
Still no bun, of course, but with your Flying Dutchman, you can add spread (a variety of Thousand Island dressing), grilled onions, and fried mustard. Speaking of onions, you get the grilled and chopped ones if the ingredients are hot, like those with melted cheese. On the other hand, fresh onions are added to ingredients that are cold—those with fresh lettuce and tomatoes, for example.
Food is best enjoyed with friends and loved ones. Go get the different combinations so you will have an idea what to order in your next visit. And don’t forget to order the other items from their secret menu, like the floats and the milkshakes. Check out In-N-Out’s website to see what else they have to offer.