Many people in the past several years have become more health-conscious with a concern for animals and even the environment. One of the best options to curb some of these issues is to make a move towards a plant-based diet. Panera Bread is seeking to make a few changes to its menu to further accommodate plant-based eaters. Presently, the company’s menu is made up of 25% plant-based items, and 60% free from animal products. The company’s major goal is to make its menu 50% plant-based by including at least one vegetarian food item in each category of the menu by 2021.
Panera’s efforts are right in line with the rest of the industry. There are a number of restaurants that have included various plant-based items onto their menu, giving customers plenty of options to choose from besides meat. By partnering with companies like Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat, restaurants are able to develop plant-based alternatives to meat products. Some of these restaurants include:
- Del Taco – Beyond Tacos and Beyond Avacado Tacos.
- Burger King – Impossible Whopper
- Carl’s Jr. – Beyond Famous Star Burger
- White Castle – Vegan sliders
- Baskin Robbins – Non-Dairy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Wendy’s – Veggie Sandwich, Baked Potato With Chives, and Garden Side Salad
- Buca di Beppo – Pasta Puttanesca and other sides such as salads
- The Cheesecake Factory – Soy-Glazed Edamame, Kale and Quinoa Salad, Veggie Burger
- Kona Grill – Sushi, Seaweed Salad, and more.
Per a press release, CEO of Panera, Niren Chaudhary said, “Panera’s customers are increasingly looking to reduce their consumption of animal products. The company aims to cater to this growing demographic. We already have strong credentials on plant-based.” He continued, “It’s more about better for you, and better for the world, and better for the environment, and better for animals.”
Here are a few items on Panera’s menu that are fully plant-based:
- Greek Salad
- Modern Greek Salad with Quinoa
- Seasonal Greens Salad
- Modern Caprese Sandwich
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- Ten Vegetable Soup
- Avocado, Egg White and Spinach
- Steel Cut Oatmeal with Strawberries and Pecans
Panera followed up with their initiative in a tweet this week: “At Panera, we’re striving to make 50% of our entrees plant-based.”