Arby’s roast beef is so tender and juicy, it’s a hard recipe to replicate. Or is it? You might be surprised to know that you can create your own version of Arby’s roast beef sandwiches right from home with a few simple ingredients and a slow cooker. I’m a big fan of placing ingredients in a slow cooker and leaving it for the day. The house smells amazing, the flavors marinate so well together, and I don’t have to run to a drive-through or restaurant.
The secret to this recipe is to choose a quality chunk of meat. We recommend using the “eye of the round” roast beef because it’s so tender and flavorful, but you can use any cut available.
Note that this recipe requires at least 12 hours of simmering in the slow cooker. Time it so that it’s ready by dinnertime. Either wake up early and place it in the slow cooker in the morning; or cook it overnight, and then let it simmer on low during the day until you’re ready to eat it.
This Arby’s Roast Beef recipe will make 8 sandwiches, but if you’d like to freeze a portion for a later meal, check out our notes below.
For the Roast
- 4 pounds Eye Of The Round Roast Beef
- ½ cups of water
- ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix, 2-ounce packet
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package sandwich buns, 8 count
For the Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons water
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoons Tabasco Sauce
Preparing the Roast (Makes 8 sandwiches)
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, stir together all of the remaining roast ingredients, and then pour this over roast.
- Cook the roast on low overnight or for 8 hours.
- The next morning, stir and spoon the roast sauce over the meat again and simmer on low or warm until noon. You could even leave it on warm until evening.
- Slice the roast into very thin pieces.
Preparing the Sauce (Makes 1 Cup)
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
Assembling the Roast Beef Sandwich
- Open the bun, and place a hearty helping of roast beef inside. Pour a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce over the beef, and place the bun on top. Serve, and enjoy.
- This recipe calls for a lot of roast beef. If you won’t eat all of it in one sitting, you can either store a portion in the refrigerator or freezer. It will last 4 to 5 days in the fridge and 3 to 4 months in the freezer in an airtight container.
- If you’d like to prepare and eat the roast beef on the same day, just begin cooking it early in the morning. It takes about 12 hours from start to finish, so if you wake up early, it will be ready by dinnertime.
- I like to brush a light layer of butter on the top of my buns and toast them before serving.
- This sandwich is great with a side of curly fries.
- Pair it with our Arby’s Sauce Recipe!